Sunday, July 21, 2013

you know you're in austin when....

I live close to Barton Springs and a favorite activity after a run is to wade into the water to cool down.  The water is about 68 degrees year round since it is spring fed.  It takes your breath away but it feels great on a hot humid morning.
After a run last week, I decided to visit the "springs" for the first time since I had returned to Austin.  It was about 6:30am, it's just starting to get light and there aren't very many people at the pool.  I walked down to a secluded section, take off my running shoes and shirt and start my walk toward the middle of the pool.  I'm gasping for air by the time the water is above my waist.  I lower myself down, go under water and come back up into the heat.  I start the trek out of the pool.  This is the extent of my routine at Barton Springs.
While I'm drying myself off, a big athletic guy approaches me.  Since the water is so cold, early morning swimmers will do laps and they will wear wet suits to keep themselves warm.  He was struggling to get his suit on when I got there and he was still trying to get into it when I was done.  He had decided it wasn't a one man job.  "Hey man - can you help me zip up my wet suit?"
Only in Austin.