Friday, August 2, 2013

finally....

I was gone from Texas for only 2 years so I thought that getting my drivers license reinstated was going to be easy.  There's a Texas DMV location near my work so I went there in February during lunch.  I had my passport, TN drivers license and proof of insurance.  They told me I needed to prove that all of my cars were registered in Texas.  After searching the usual filing spots and making a trip to the safe deposit box, I had the necessary proof.  I went to a DMV location near my house and endured an hour long wait.  When my number was called, I laid all of my papers on the desk.  Passport, car titles, proof of insurance and recent utility bill to prove my residence.  The clerk looked at the pile and said "May I see your social security card?"  Who carries their social security card with them?  I have my original card in the safe deposit box.  I think I got it when I was in the 5th grade.  My little cursive signature is still legible and each letter resembles the way it was on the strip above the school blackboard.  I did some research and found that a W2 (tax) form would suffice.  Six months after my return, I try for the 3rd time.  I take my number at the DMV and I finally have success.  I look like a POW in my license photo but that's just a reflection of the pain I endured to get the darn thing.  giggle.