Thursday, June 2, 2011

ladies and gentlemen, youngsters and oldsters....

I passed the 5 month point in C'ville on May 20. Students at the local university arrived for the Spring semester shortly after I arrived and they left for summer break last week. My favorite burger place is right across the street from the campus. I went in there on commencement day and there were caps and gowns everywhere. It was kind of fun.
Big tents started to spring up around town on Wednesday. They are pretty substantial tents and I had no idea what they could be for. A friend of mine back in Austin guessed that they were to be used for selling local produce. I was hoping that the summer gospel tent revival season was about to get underway. I had just finished reading Go Tell it on the Mountain so I was a little curious about that whole experience. The tents are big enough for a small circus but I couldn't figure out why there were so many of them spread around town.
It turns out that they will be selling fireworks out of them. The natives tell me that among other things, you can buy a quarter stick of dynamite. It will apparently destroy a garbage can. This will be quite the circus. giggle